Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Big Sigh.
If I could only begin to express the business of the last few weeks since our three month post.
In a nutshell....

Dave went back to work. I'm working. Calvin is going to a nanny. We're contemplating some big career changes in our lives. There have been some changes at our church that have really been life altering. Oh, and on a daily basis I have to get to work early and leave late to make up the time that I take away for "mommy breaks."

Life right now is exhausting. It's busy and long and the days all run together. By Thursday morning I'm really feeling the fatigue, and Friday's after lunch I can barely keep my eyes open. Between work, home, church obligations, attempting to go to Jazzercise and finding a few spare minutes to call friends and see people we care about, it's all I can do to not go crazy. This balancing act is really difficult. And I don't feel like I'm balancing right now. It feels more like one side is tipped down really far and the scale isn't just going to tip, but fall over completely. I keep telling myself that it will become a new kind of normal, that eventually routine will set in, I'll adjust, and things won't be so crazy, but it's really hard to focus on that when it's 4:30 a.m. and Calvin wakes up to be fed.

Ah, Calvin. Such a sweet amazing little guy. He constantly makes Dave and I smile and we are amazed at how much he has moved into our lives like he was always meant to be there. He's growing and changing and developing a little personality. For instance, he HATES tummy time. Hates it. We'll put him on his tummy, he's fine for about 30 seconds, and then starts to grunt and groan which eventually turns into screams. Turn him over on his back and he is happy camper, especially if the TV is on to distract him.


Tummy time on the bed with mom and dad seems to be more enjoyable....


The Bumbo is a lifesaver right now. Calvin is generally an upright baby, preferring to be sitting up rather than laying down or even reclining. The bumbo sits on the dinning room table when I'm vacuuming or cooking dinner, sits on the bathroom counter when I need to get ready in the mornings, sits on the floor when we are just relaxing in the evening. It's magic right now.



 
 the new favorite toy? Burpcloth . It usually ends up in his mouth. Or on his head when daddy is being silly.



I get frustrated and tired and irritable from all of my responsibilities, and he just makes it all worth it. And then I get frustrated that I can't spend more time with him. But in the long run, all of this will seem like a small hurdle. and I know God gives us grace to handle all situations. And God gave us Calvin. So, the grace to handle Calvin will certainly come in abundance.











6 comments:

Lydia said...

Thanks for all the pictures! I feel like the bad sister-in-law who keeps up with you only through your blog and Mom and Dad, but I figure I can catch up with you when you get your sanity back. And you will! This is a phase that will pass. You are doing so well to juggle it all. Just remember that you're allowed to let some things slip right now. Only recently have I started picking up some things I hadn't had the chance to do in a long time. Wish I were there to watch Calvin for you while you are working!

Margie said...

Karen, you're doing GREAT! It's a lot of work and hard to balance, but Calvin appreciates all you do. I take longer lunch hours to be with Sammy as well and the long days take their toll on me but I know you're eating well and exercising when you can, it will continue to balance out over time...but if there's an opp for career changes (maybe part-time) or whatever the Lord might be directing you guys toward, the sacrifice you're doing now will have a lasting impression. Hang in there. The second bumbo photo is precious. Sammy loves burp clothes too. I enjoy reading your blog since our boys are so close in age. You have a very handsome little man and should be VERY proud.

Kati said...

Karen, I 100% completely understand. It IS exhausting, especially in those first months. AND especially once you go back to work! Don't feel bad if you need to cut out an exercise session or skip a church event. Not forever, maybe just for now. And you're doing a great job trying to balance it. It WILL get better and easier and you will fall into some type of routine. Hang in there sweet friend and lets chat on the phone sometime! Oh, and Calvin is so cute!

The Cates said...

I totally understand where you are coming from. I'm worn out and only work 2 or 3 days a week. I don't get anything done on those days besides coming home and playing with Drew. I feel like my weekends are to relax and catch up on rest. Drew loves his bumbo too, well I do more then he does because it's so nice. He also loves his jumperoo and I have two Johnny Jump Ups (one you gave us) and one I just purchased at a consignment sale. They are very helpful as well to keep him contained and entertained while I do other things close by! Keep it up girl, you can do it. It's hard now but I keep thinking when he's al little older I think it will be a little easier. Maybe not, what do I know. :)

Sarah said...

Karen,

No excuses. I can't believe you haven't called me in so long to catch up...

;)


Sorry to hear about your crazy, hectic life of late! I know this must be a joyful but also frustrating time...hang in there, sis'! We love you and are praying for you three!

BTW, the little C-dub is getting cuter by the day. Oh. my. gosh. And he's really resembling you and Dave! There are some pictures where he looks just like Dave and some where he looks just like you (like the one where he has the burp cloth over his head). Amazing! Makes me wonder how funny our future little one will look. Radu's big head and my big lips? Oh, dear.

Love you, sis. And I will try to give you a call this week after my second quals test.

Sarah said...

By the way, I meant "hypothetical" little one...

Just thought I'd clarify that!