Sunday, November 13, 2011

Ninjas and five months old

Long overdue blog post, but lately Calvin has decided sleeping through the night is a silly idea, and he's much rather wake up 4 or 5 times. Needless to say, I'm a bit fatigued and therefore haven't done much more then eat, sleep, work, take care of boy for the past six weeks.

For Halloween this year, we dressed Calvin as a Ninja. I let Dave pick the costume, and I really like the fact that he picked something a little less traditional then your typical pumpkin, puppy dog, etc. It was hard to get good pictures. We were running late for our church's Trunk or Treat event that we participate in every year, and once those trick or treaters come, they don't stop! We snapped a few at the beginning, and thanks to the modern invention of photo shop, I can cut and crop them to make them better.



Calvin also turned 5 months old (well..10 days ago he did). I looked at Dave and said to him "We've kept another human being alive for 5 months. We rock". Sometimes I still have to pinch myself to remind me that yes, I do have a son, yes, I am a mom, and yes, he's mine. Craziness.

 four months

Five months

Not a huge change this time, but he's definitely way more solid. When we went to the dr to diagnose his second ear infection (yes...two in a row!) he was 19 pounds. And yesterday we put him on my trusty old scale from college and he was 22 pounds. So, you be the judge! We're definitely in 6 months clothes and I'm using a bunch of hand me down 12 month pants. Silly to buy smaller pants when all you have to do is roll up the legs!

There has been alot going on in our family over the past few weeks as well. In fact, dare I say it, my next post is probably not going to be about the boy and is going to focus a bit more on Dave and I. It's a post I've been writing in my head for several weeks, and I think it will do me good to get out some of my emotions, thoughts, and feelings. And if that means baring my soul to the whole blogger world, so be it.

Close with a few more pics of the boy, though. He's really enjoyed his excersaucer lately, and like any genius child, his favorite toy on the whole contraption....the tag of course.











4 comments:

Kati said...

Karen, he's so stinkin cute as a ninja! Good idea Dave :) I totally agree on the pinching yourself thing...it's like, wait. I have a kid? When did this happen?!!

And I'm a fan of emotional venting in the blogosphere...it's cathartic :> Love you and hang in there!

p.s. Karlyn loved the tag too...what is it with paper and remotes?!

KarenD said...

Second pic from the bottom, that is totally a Dave expression!

And that is THE cutest ninja I ever saw! Ninja was popular with the bigger boys this year I noticed, but they're not really as cute. ;-)

I've been writing some more personal blog posts in my head, too, wondering if I should post them or not. I agree, writing things out can be therapeutic, but sharing them with everyone? Hmm.

The Cates said...

So cute! Drew went the I can sleep phase for almost two weeks and it killed me. I'm hoping it was just a growth spurt or his teeth movingaround and that's it's over. I was miserable with no sleep. Hopefully it's a phase and a quick one at that.

The McQueen's said...

Karen,
Little Calvin is adorable! I bet you and Dave are an amazing team for parents.. lucky little guy! I hope to meet your newest addition this next summer when we are home. Miss you! Liz