Monday, December 19, 2011

Ramblings

My Early Morning Riser is still on my work schedule. Hoping to break the habit of waking up at 5:30 over the next few weeks.
The past week we took some Christmas card photos. I didn't go all out for these. No corresponding outfits or formal poses....nothing too professional looking. Several weeks ago, I realized that the Christmas cards I most enjoyed getting are the ones with the collage of snapshots from the year...you know the ones...where there's a pic of the kids at the zoo, a pic of the summer vacation, a pic of Thanksgiving all rolled into one Christmas card. I really like those. And while I didn't have the time, energy, or patience to sit down and create a beautiful Christmas card, I did want to capture us as a family and have that to share with everyone.
A friend of mine, who also happens to have a photo degree from the Art Institute, graciously agreed to take a few snap shots of our family in exchange for lunch one day after church. I knew that the likely hood of getting a good shot where Calvin was looking straight on at the camera was slim to none (cause this boy gets distracted!), which was another reason I didn't stress too much about pics, so my favorites are the ones where Dave and I look good and you can sorta see Calvin :<).



I only got 30 Christmas cards. I'm not sending cards to everyone I've ever met...just family and the friends that mean the most to us. I've been thinking alot lately about my motivation behind what I do. Am I doing it for me or am I doing it so that people will give me feedback that boosts my ego? Do I post pics on facebook, this blog, or any other place to share with my friends, or in hopes that I'll get 10 comments back that all say how cute my kid is? Do I send Christmas cards to everyone I've ever encountered because I want to wish them a Merry Christmas, or is it so they will see pics of us and remark about how what a beautiful family I have, or how I've lost the "baby weight"? What IS the point of this blog anyway? I say it's to keep up with my family, but I think I have more friends that read it then family. Anyway...all that to say that I've tried to scale back my vanity, and a relaxed Christmas card is the first way I'm attempting to do so. Not that there is anything wrong with the above things, but for me, personally, I think my motivation is not what it should be. If the "chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever " (how's that for a kick back to old catechism questions) then all that I do, from Christmas cards to raising my son, to my performance at work, needs to come from a motivation of glorifying God, and not for my personal vanity.

So...not really what I was intending to write about this morning, but thoughts on my mind regardless. Merry Christmas, and not just because I want you to wish it to me back, but because I sincerely wish that you and your family glorify God this season in all that you do.

6 comments:

Kati said...

I enjoy your posts Karen, and pictures :-) I like the ones you got! Beautiful family. Great thoughts on motives too...I've been pondering some of that myself.

We only ordered 20 Christmas cards so I feel ya!

Pamela Vendsel said...

This is a really nice post Karen, and I do enjoy the pics and so does Calvin's grandpa! Merry Christmas to you too sweet girl!!

Pam Vendsel

KarenD said...

I did a more simple Christmas card this year, too. Just snapshots, one of each of us... went in and found a photo card with four slots, and bam... it was done. For me, the need was to SIMPLIFY. Usually I'm arranging a professional photo shoot, pouring over pre-designed cards or designing my own to make it just right. Meh... I almost DIDN'T do cards altogether!

Lydia said...

I loved your card! I'm with you on trying to get the little ones to look at the camera! Our card has neither boy looking, but hey, that's our life!

carol grams said...

Love your rambling posts! Thanks for sharing your heart! Merry Christmas to you and Dave!

The Young's said...

sweet pictures!! We just kept it simple, too. I'm pretty sure Luke was a little blurry. We took about 50 pictures, and the one we sent was the clearest of them all..hehe. Silly baby just couldn't sit still. :)