Monday, December 05, 2011

We can hardly believe that Calvin turned 6 months old this past weekend. What a fast 6 months it has been.  Here's an update on our little guy:

Calvin has his two bottom teeth and they make a little snaggle tooth appearance every time he smiles. His front top two are also coming in. When he chews on our fingers we can feel the edges starting to push through the skin.
We tried solid foods for the first time this weekend, and his reaction was priceless:









We're going to keep trying. The Dr. said it could take as many as 15 tries before he understands what to do when we put a spoon in his mouth.

Sleep is still an issue. He's getting better at falling asleep on his own....most of the time he whines for a good 10 minutes or so, we go in and rub his back and pat his little tushie, and then he will fall asleep. Nap times are easier. But sleeping through the night is a rarity. Usually he wakes up once around 2 or 3, and then is ready to get up around 5 or 5:30. Most of the time he will go back to sleep around 8 or so, but by then I'm wide awake. I'm hoping this is just a developmental thing like the doctor said, because I'm ready for him to get through this phase. Really...all I want for Christmas is to sleep from 9:30 to 8 with no wake ups or interruptions. Can I put that on my amazon list?

Calvin LOVES his jumper and his exerscauser and is a rolling machine! He lays on his back on his play mat and will roll all over the living room exploring. He can sit up on his own for about 10 seconds or so before he slumps over. He's good at playing on his own, too. Most evenings we can put him on the floor and he's content for a good hour or so before he needs some adult interaction.






I can't believe how much he's grown. He's off the charts in height and pretty close in weight. He's wearing anywhere between 9 to 12 month clothes.
 5 months

6 months...(and a camera strap in the middle)
those legs just keep getting longer and I can see alot of change in his chest and torso too.

Judging by all of the bottles he's taking, I think 7 months is going to be a big growth spurt.
We love our little guy and he loves and misses all of you!

5 comments:

The Cates said...

He is a tall (long) boy. I was in the nursery telling them that Drew and Calvin are 13 days apart and they said you couldn't tell. :) Drew grows more out then up!

Kati said...

Karen, HOW is he already 6 months old?!! Crazy. He's adorable and I know you are are anxiously awaiting spending more time with him.

Congrats on making it half a year! :)

Walter H. Norvell said...

That's my grandson!!!

Lydia said...

"Can I put that on my Amazon list?" Cracked me up! Maybe we should switch off baby duty at Branson so we can give that gift to each other for at least one night!

I love his facial expressions for trying food! And I can't wait to squeeze those chunky thighs in THREE WEEKS!!

KarenD said...

Ooh, I want that on my Amazon list, too! Both my boys were horrible sleepers at Calvin's age, and Ian (age 3) STILL gets up at night.

In fact, we had to let Seth cry it out which was the hardest thing EVER, but he sleeps like a CHAMP now, 13 hours straight at night! We never did this with Ian, and he is still waking up. Just some food for thought. It's hard with your first to just let them cry, and it's hard to see the long-term benefit, but I can tell you that it works.