Thursday, August 30, 2012

Absent

Hi.

It's been a while.

Miss me???

Why the absence from blogging, you ask. Well, a few reasons....
1. I over committed myself which left me drained of all creativity for blogging.
2. Bored with, what I felt was, lack luster blog posts with no substance
3. Lots of self reflection about why I blog

A quick address of each one of these reasons....

The spring and early summer was crazy hectic for the Norvell family. After my last post, Dave kicked it into full swing with police academy, which left very little time for us to spend as a family. He graduated with academic honors, had a few days off, and then started field training with the city of Euless. In the meantime, I committed to lots of things that I shouldn't have....multiple church functions including organizing a huge garage sale, teaching VBS, continuing our leadership role in our Sunday school ministry. We also decided it would be a good time to buy our first house, which meant putting the rent house we lived in on the market, which meant keeping our house "show ready" with a 10 month old while trying to organize all my above commitments. We found a house rather quickly, which lead to all of the crazy errands, paperwork, bank trips, and other things that go along with it. Couple that with multiple family visits, our son turning the big 1, and I was a wreck by the time June was over. I used July to settle into our new home and begin decorating and fixing up our fixer upper. So...as one can see, I'm extremely glad the past few months are over.

I'll address reasons 2 and 3 together....
I was getting tired of my blog reflecting nothing but the daily happenings of our family. Granted, I know all of my family out of state that who reads this is thankful for those posts, but I'm really longing for an outlet for my thoughts and feelings. I decided that I need to blog for one reason only, and that's for me. Yup...putting myself first for this one thing, and I'm happy about it. If I need an outlet for some self expressing, then that's what I'm gonna do. So...that means that, mixed in with the reports of our family adventures and cute pictures of our son, there's going to be the occasional "thoughts and feelings" post. I'm excited to have an outlet for some of my feelings, afraid of becoming vulnerable from the exposure, but adventurous enough to try it.

So...I'll end with a few pics from the previous happenings. Look out world...here I come.

 Playing with his big birthday gift from mom and dad!


 Eating birthday cake at his first birthday party!

 We were so blessed to have the entire Norvell family come in town for Calvin's birthday.

 Cousins

 First time at a splash pad this summer. Needless to say, we went back about a zillion times.

 In between Academy and Field Training, Dave had a few days off. Calvin really enjoyed spending time with his daddy.

 Fourth of July at the Fort Worth Arboretum for the Concert in the Park

 Walking with dad at the Grapevine Botanical Gardens.

You can't keep this boy away from water.

3 comments:

Margie said...

I totally agree with you on why you should blog. If your heart's not in to it and you're just going through the motions, then there's no reason to it. I find myself in a similar situation but I think of my family entries as my memory on a page so I can read it later and remember. There's so many details I want to capture and my blog seems to be the place I go to for that.

carol grams said...

Karen, thanks for your update, openness and honesty! Blogging takes effort, and I find hard to split the everyday occurrences and my inner thoughts and reflections! So, hurrah that you are back to the blog, because I enjoy reading about your life... I miss Rachel's and Sarah's too!
Know that I' m following even when you are on hiatus!

Pamela Vendsel said...

I enjoy reading them too Karen. I commend your effort and the time it takes to keep us up to date.
I read them and check every so often for updates.